As parents and caregivers, hearing the words ‘sex’ and ‘kids’ in the same sentence can feel scary and uncomfortable. The last thing we want to think about is something happening to our children. But the good news is that there are steps we can take and conversations we can have to educate our children on what they need to know while validating that it is a scary topic to think about.
Our guest this week, Dr. Jennifer Litner of Embrace Sexual Wellness, believes that as caregivers, it is our job to raise people to be healthy in the world and have the tools to help them live healthy lives. She joins us on the podcast this week to discuss how we, as parents and caregivers, can teach our children about sex and consent.
Join us this week for an informative conversation about sex and consent, and what you can do as a parent to have these conversations with your kids. Hear why there is not a one-size-fits-all for sex education and kids, what age parents should start having these conversations with their kids, and some suggestions to help you do so.
What You Will Discover:
- Jennifer’s advice for parents and caregivers who feel intimated about having these conversations with their kids.
- Some of the ways parents and caregivers can have these conversations with kids when they are young.
- What conversations around sex and consent can look like.
- How I learned about sex growing up.
- Why young people can feel shame around their bodies and how parents can address and prevent feelings of shame within their children.
- The importance of helping your children name their emotions.
- What a sex script is, an example of one, and how they can be so influential.
- Follow House of Other on Instagram
- Using Plant Medicine to Reclaim Your Story with Olivia Young
- Surviving Sexual Assault with Shandi Nichelle
- Arousal Non Concordance: It’s More Common Than You Would Think – blog post
- Dr. Jennifer Litner: Website | Instagram
- Building Ease Talking About the Birds and the Bees® course
- Comprehensive Consent
- Sex Positive Families
Enjoy the Show?
- Don’t miss an episode. Listen on Spotify and subscribe via Apple Podcasts, Stitcher or RSS.
- Leave me a review in Apple Podcasts.