The LGBTQ+ community has made tremendous progress, but there is always more work to do. As parents and caregivers, we have a responsibility to ensure that the next generation is educated and respectful of matters within the community and to influence them with love and inclusivity. So how do we ensure that we are raising LGBTQ allies?
Chris Tompkins is a spiritual coach, TED talk presenter and speaker, LGBTQ advocate, and author of Raising LGBTQ Allies. He hosts workshops and presentations for universities, conferences, and organizations across the U.S.A. on anti-bullying, the importance of inner advocacy, how to prevent queerphobia among new generations, and the importance of changing the messages from the playground.
Listen in this week as Chris shares some practical tips, tools, exercises, and advice to help you teach your kids about inclusivity and feel more comfortable speaking to your children about all that lies outside the heteronormative space. We’re uncovering the blind spots we may face as parents and caregivers, discussing the importance of educating our kids on bullying and queerphobia, and showing you how to talk to your children about LGBTQ+ people and matters.
What You Will Discover:
- What heteronormativity is and how it influences us in ways we’re not aware of.
- Chris’s experience of heteronormativity in his own family.
- Why Chris believes the term homophobia incorrectly describes what’s happening, and how he would describe it instead.
- How children absorb so much negative messaging from their environments, and how to counteract this as parents and caregivers.
- Why we need to be approaching gender and sexuality as a process of unlearning rather than a subject matter of something to understand.
- How Chris internalized his experience of the messaging he received in childhood about being gay.
- Some great ways to teach kids about inclusivity.
- Follow House of Other on Instagram
- Raising LGBTQ Allies by Chris Tompkins
- Find your local chapter of PFLAG by clicking here
- Chris Tompkins: Website | Instagram | Twitter
- You Can Heal Your Life by Louise Hay
- Ep #3: Understanding Terminology Around Gender and Identity