Our identity is a huge factor in the way we operate in the world. There are many different terms and identities that people show up with, and understanding them allows us to show up more respectfully with our loved ones, as well as with people in general.
Whether you are on this identity journey with your child or a loved one, or you simply want to learn more about gender and identity, Lauren and I are here to help this week. We’re diving deep into the terminology around gender identity and sexuality and defining some of the terms that you may have heard of but aren’t sure of the meaning.
Join us this week as we explore people’s perceptions around gender and identity, where they come from, and how to stop placing things in binary boxes. There is a lot to unpack here, but the key is staying open. So we’re showing you why you don’t need to understand the inner details of somebody’s identity but you do need to be respectful, and how to handle an identity transition with a loved one.
What You Will Discover:
- Some tips and tools to help you navigate an identity change.
- Why mistakes are bound to happen, and how to move through them.
- How everybody’s experience with their gender identity is unique.
- Some of the things you will likely come up against when going through an identity journey with your child.
- The problem with society placing so much importance on genitalia at birth.
- One of the more tricky things that folks will find on the gender spectrum.
- The difference between cisgender body issues and transgender body issues.
- What to do if your child is transitioning in some way.
- Follow House of Other on Instagram
- Click here for PFLAG’s Glossary of Terms
- Raising LGBTQ Allies by Chris Tompkins
- Find your local chapter of PFLAG by clicking here
- Labels, Identity, and the Gender Spectrum with Faith
- When Someone You Love Comes Out with Faith and Nick